Powered by Blogger.

Followers

JULY 3, 2022 – PRINCE RUPERT

This morning was my chance to catch up on housework and organizing as every area seemed to be in need of some tidying. It was also time for the dreaded refrigerator cleanout before re-provisioning again. Prince Rupert has the last major grocery store between here and Port McNeill, which will be nearly 3 weeks from now, so it’s a big shopping day for me, mostly for produce. The early morning was socked in with fog but soon we had sunshine peeking through, and by 10AM it was completely clear and warm sunshine. We enjoyed a leisurely morning doing our respective tasks in a very relaxed manner, with the doors open and warm breeze flowing through the cabin. Went for lunch up at the Breaker’s Pub at the head of the dock where I had steak tacos and John had fish and chips, because the Canadians do fish and chips better than anyone! I was looking forward to some grilled tender steak in my tacos but no…my steak was DEEP FRIED, not kidding. WTH, who deep fries steak? The result was these disgusting chewy bites of steak, kind of like you’d get with Mongolian beef except super dry, piled onto small flour tortillas with coleslaw and grilled corn, now that part was really good. Pushed the steak aside and basically had coleslaw tacos for lunch. Anyway, my point is (to my boating friends passing through), don’t order the tacos at Breakers, seems they deep fry whatever meat you choose. But the Fish & Chips were awesome! Afterwards I walked to Safeway, about a half mile away, poking my head into the gift shops along the way. They have some really fine gift shops and artist co-ops here in town worthy of your time. At Safeway I found everything on my list except….cilantro….again. That’s a problem since I have curry dishes and fish tacos on the menu this week. I had to call a cab to get a ride back to the boat because of my load, so I asked the driver if there was another store we could go to – he said sure and drove me to Save On Foods, where I darted in and got my cilantro – score! It took the rest of the afternoon to process and store my haul. I put most of my produce in Debbie’s green bags to preserve longer, and had to divide up and vacuum seal meat. We had dinner on the boat tonight, cards, bed. Prior to that we had a long session on the computer (Coastal Explorer) trying to figure out where we are headed tomorrow as we have no real schedule except to be in Port McNeill on July 18th or 19th where we have moorage reservations. Fog had already creeped back in by dinner time and the forecast going forward doesn’t look great. Bummer. No pictures today.

1 comment

  1. Hi Den, I just spent a chunk of my evening catching up on your adventures and it sounds glorious! I am so glad I got to see a little bit of Alaska a few years ago, it’s just amazingly beautiful. I really have enjoyed your blog but I must complain about one thing - your food descriptions have made me ravenous! I wish you would include pictures of some of your masterpieces. Love you, Niece Sam 😁

    ReplyDelete