Powered by Blogger.

Followers

BIG BAY, STUART ISLAND ON THE DOCK

Saturday, August 1st

Woke up to a slight reprieve in the rain which was so welcome. However, today there are thunderstorms predicted which are typically accompanied by rain. John went fishing this morning for bottom fish but….skunked again….there’s a theme here. It’s been super disappointing for him, he is used to catching! Since it’s my 65th birthday year, and we (I) celebrate all year (heh heh), I decided to treat myself to a massage at the resort across the channel, and a polish change on the toes which were long overdue (I think the last paint job was in Juneau). Of course it was max current out in the channel so I didn’t want to do that by myself in the whaler, so John took me over there and it was really running hard indeed. We slowed to approach the dock and soon found ourselves being swept over near the rocks so had to power up to get to the dock safely. I had a glorious morning getting a fresh coat on my toes followed by a deep tissue massage, a new woman! Refreshed. They are so gracious and welcoming at Sonora, well sort of….they treat us really well indeed but we are escorted everywhere, they don’t allow us to walk the grounds on our own. All good, I understand, there are people paying a lot of money to be there! John picked me up around 2PM and took me back to Big Bay. He’d been helping with setup all morning and returned to finish helping while I took a shower and got ready for the auction event. The rain would come and go, but when it came it was with a vengeance – a downpour! Just before the event started the rain let up and stayed clear for a whole hour before letting loose again! The entire crowd was huddled under the porch or tent awnings. Since nothing interested us in the live auction we bought 10 books of raffle tickets instead, and ended up winning a Rod and Reel, a portable 22” Blackstone Grill, Dinner for 2 at Blind Channel, and 3 nights moorage and dinner at Fisherman’s Landing. A haul! This event is typically during the nicest weather, and many times really too warm. Tonight I was dressed in jeans, a thick sweater, my Grunden raincoat and rubber boots – quite a difference! I was still chilled so we left the auction before it was over and went back to the boat to warm up and hit the sack. 

The Charcuterie Board at the auction

                                    The Seagulls taking over the dock, what a mess

                                                        The Auction underway


No comments